Sarakina – A jewel over Pineios
Sarakina village is between Trikala and Kalampaka. Its name may refer to sea and pirate stories, possibly because here Pineios widens its riverbed, forming a waterway that seems to swirl.
There, at Pineios, one can see a great bridge, the creation of which is lost in the depths of time. The magnificence of the multi-arched bridge, in combination with the adjacent big rock, fascinate the visitor. The bridge is also called “Gefyri tis Petras” (bridge of stone in Greek) by the Vlachs of the area of Aspropotamos.
The bridge was built in the 16th century (1520) by Vissarion II, metropolitan bishop of Larissa. In its initial form the bridge had six arches, the third from the left (east) bank being bigger, under which the deepest riverbed of Pineios river passes!